I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of International Relations and Department of Sociology at Koç University, Istanbul since 2016. I am also a member of the executive board of the Migration Research Center at Koç University (MiReKoc). As of January 2020, I am one of the editors of the journal International Migration.
My primary research interests include power, inequalities and contestations in relation to different aspects of international mobility. My work therefore is largely informed by sociology of migration, critical security studies and global governance. My current research explores dynamics of integration and social cohesion at the local level as well as changing migration and mobility aspirations.
- 2015 UNIVERSITY OF AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands, Ph.D. (Joint Doctorate with Koç University)
- 2015 KOÇ UNIVERSITY, ISTANBUL, TURKEY, Ph.D. in Political Science and International Relations (Joint Doctorate with University of Amsterdam)
- 2008 LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE (LSE) MSc in Gender, Development, Globalization (degree awarded with MERIT)
- 2007 BOĞAZİÇİ UNIVERSITY, ISTANBUL, TURKEY B.A. in Sociology (High Honour Degree), B.A. in Political Science and International Relations (High Honour Degree) (Double Major)
GRANTS, AWARDS, FELLOWSHIPS
- 01/2018 – 08/2018 IPC-Stiftung Mercator Fellow at SWP, Berlin, Germany
- 12/2016-02/2018 Koç University Seed Research Grant
- 06/2016 The Mercator-IPC Fellowship (declined)
- 12/2013-02/2015 TÜBİTAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) scholarship for Joint Doctorate
- 12/2013 Third Prize, Sabancı University Gender and Women’s Studies Forum, the Dicle Koğacıoğlu Article Awards
- 04/2013-06/2013 Visiting Fellow, International Migration Institute (IMI), University of Oxford.
- 10/2011-12/2013 KOÇ-KAM (Koç University Center for Gender Studies) Research Grant
- 9/2011-12/2013 Fellow in Settling into Motion, The Bucerius Ph.D. Scholarship in Migration Studies
- 9/2007-9/2018 EU Jean Monnet Scholarship Award for Postgraduate Studies